Skip to main content

Camino Crafts - Scrapbook

For my Dad's 60th birthday I made him a scrapbook ready for walking the Camino Portuguese later this year.

For this project I bought: a plain black album
                                        white and black pens
                                        white and red paint (and paintbrushes)
                                        blue and yellow paper (I used some origami paper that I already had)
                                        some luggage tags
                                        letter stamps
                                        pencil
                                        ruler
altogether I spent a bit over ten pounds on everything needed for this.




I started by cutting out the arrows and the way markers - I drew one of each shape and then drew around these for as many as possible onto a sheet of paper and cut them out placing the way markers on a square of blue paper (I drew the way markers free hand but you could just find a picture on the internet and print them out and then use these as they come or trace them).


Then I started decorating! I haven't copied every page that I did but a few to give an idea of what you can do.

This is the first page - a map of the route and a date (which I'll fill in properly when we know exactly when we'll be going)

The travelling page - pictures from the internet and then a blessing for journeys which I found from the internet - I used a few different quotes about walking which I found simply by searching for 'walking quotes' and picking a few out

Porto Cathedral and stamp (as it is from here that we'll be starting) - I found a picture of both and drew them lightly with a pencil and then painting over in white paint. I then drew on the details with pen - it's fairly easy to do but looks quite good (there's a post on doing Santiago Cathedral on brown cardboard from last year if you want to see some pictures of the techniques used)

different uses for arrows and way markers


For these feet I found an outline of a foot on the internet, printed it out and then drew around it before adding on the toes




One way to use a tag - stamped words and an arrow
I found a picture of a Pilgrim from a sign on the internet, drew it in pencil and then painted over it

A little sketch of our destination - Santiago Cathedral (you can see the pencil line I drew by ruler to get my hand-drawn line straight here)

Two images I simply printed out and stuck straight in

I've seen this written on a few 'STOP' signs on the Camino and so had to include it

Before sticking the Cross of Saint James in on another page I drew around it for this page

We'll be walking at Easter so I found a picture of a plain egg and then coloured it in in Camino colours


Oh the 'fun' that I had with this boot print - I printed out an image from the internet and lay it alongside my attempt (which I did free hand) but still managed to get a print that looks too elongated ..... oh well!

I looked at an image from the internet, drew it ion pencil and then painted over this and wrote the place names in pen

Arrows

The Cross of Saint James - outline drawn in pencil and then painted over

A way marker (and the only time in the scrapbook when an arrow points to the left, I don't know why) 

More feet - lots of walking to do!

A municipal albergue stamp for Galicia - drawn by hand and then painted over

Arrival in Santiago page - I've written a translation of the Compostela on the left and done the same as for the Porto page on the right

A close-up


I hope this gives you a few ideas to start on.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Camino Primitivo

The Camino Primitivo (or the Original Way) is reportedly the very first Camino Way to Santiago in the 9 th century when most of Spain was under the control of the Moors and it runs from near the city of Ovideo in Asturias as it starts in Villavicosa (which also lies on the Camino Norte so many people follow this Way from   Basque city of San Sebastian (Donosti in Basque) or in from the French border at Irun ( this route then hugs the Bay of Biscay passing through Guernica, Bilbao, Santander, Llanes before going under the Picos de Europa and then heads along the coast to Ovideo) before branching off onto the Primitivo which goes across the mountains and through the city of Lugo before joining the Frances at Melide. The route is 320km long. Image taken from https://viaalpina2013.wordpress.com/2013/04/14/camino-del-norte-camino-primitivo/

Symbols of the three main Christian Pilgrimages

The symbol of the Pilgrim to Santiago is the Scallop shell  of which many can be found on the coast of Galicia and it is actually a symbol of the Pilgrimage (and has become a symbol of other Christian Pilgrimages too) partly because you could find the shell easily there and so could go back home and show it off as proof that you had done the Pilgrimage. It has also been included in carvings in some Churches.

Camino Mascot

Those who have walked the Camino will probably have seen one or more of the Camino mascots along the Way but do you know their names? http://m.elcorreogallego.es/xacobeo/ecg/xubi-jubila-pelegrin-mascota-xacobea/idEdicion-2010-06-08/idNoticia-555962/