Skip to main content

Camino Crafts - Bon Voyage cards

Rather than make these from scratch I decided to just alter a one card and make the other, this saved me time and a bit of effort so was good on all counts!




I liked this one because of the stars (Compostela means 'field of stars') and there was a fairly big space at the bottom for me to decorate.


Next I checked the distance of Santiago from Porto - 239.6km according to my guidebook. Then I used Paint to draw a distance sign (I chose paint as you can save images as JPEG files making them easier to post here).

Two oblongs, the inner one with a thicker line, then the words for distance and the two metal poles for it to stand on (I based it on the sign that cheers you up as you leave Roncenvalles in the morning).


Then it was simply printing this out, sticking it onto card to give it some rigidity and then sticking it onto the card.





If you want to make a similar card here's a blank version of the sign for you to use:

The second card I made from scratch but is also fairly simple to do.
     It needed: card, brown paper, glue, a pencil, ruler and pens in blue, yellow and black.

I used black card simply because I had it left from another project - I cut a piece 27X19cm and then folded this in half to make a card 13.5X19cm

Then I cut my brown paper (the cheap stuff that's meant to be for wrapping parcels to go in the post) to be 13.5X19cm

Then I drew on my design lightly in pencil (the 'O' of the Bon is a backpack, I think that you can see the rest okay)

Then I went over this letters alternating between navy blue and yellow but I did this very roughly and used several lines for each letter (although the first line each time was directly over the pencil mark so that it can't be seen)

Then I went over the backpack in black pen and drew on a scallop shell as well to make it more Camino-y. All that was left was to stick the paper onto the card and find an envelope that it would fit!






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Camino Primitivo

The Camino Primitivo (or the Original Way) is reportedly the very first Camino Way to Santiago in the 9 th century when most of Spain was under the control of the Moors and it runs from near the city of Ovideo in Asturias as it starts in Villavicosa (which also lies on the Camino Norte so many people follow this Way from   Basque city of San Sebastian (Donosti in Basque) or in from the French border at Irun ( this route then hugs the Bay of Biscay passing through Guernica, Bilbao, Santander, Llanes before going under the Picos de Europa and then heads along the coast to Ovideo) before branching off onto the Primitivo which goes across the mountains and through the city of Lugo before joining the Frances at Melide. The route is 320km long. Image taken from https://viaalpina2013.wordpress.com/2013/04/14/camino-del-norte-camino-primitivo/

Symbols of the three main Christian Pilgrimages

The symbol of the Pilgrim to Santiago is the Scallop shell  of which many can be found on the coast of Galicia and it is actually a symbol of the Pilgrimage (and has become a symbol of other Christian Pilgrimages too) partly because you could find the shell easily there and so could go back home and show it off as proof that you had done the Pilgrimage. It has also been included in carvings in some Churches.

Camino Mascot

Those who have walked the Camino will probably have seen one or more of the Camino mascots along the Way but do you know their names? http://m.elcorreogallego.es/xacobeo/ecg/xubi-jubila-pelegrin-mascota-xacobea/idEdicion-2010-06-08/idNoticia-555962/