Skip to main content

Camino crafts - Make a Camino badge/patch for your bag

I was trying to think of a gift to give to Becky and Dad before we set off on Camino - I wanted something that could be taken with them which automatically means that I wanted something light. I thought that something to hang off their bags would be cool and started to wonder what it could be: something made from beads maybe? then I remembered that a site that my Guide Unit has bought badges from once or twice makes blank badges to be decorated (they suggest that it can be done with fabric pens but even after ironing to set these I wasn't sure that they would be able to withstand Galician weather!) so I ordered three.


I'm not the best sewer so I decided to keep the design simple - as few words as possible (I would have liked to write 'Camino Portugues' and the full date but thought that this would be a little too complicated) and then an arrow (in yellow of course!) and then make an attempt at the Spainish and Portuguese flags (probably simplified)


I chose the badge with the navy border so it would match the Camino-theme, no choice on central colour though!

I drew my design on first with pencil but be careful, it doesn't rub off again afterwards - after the first one I only drew very lightly for the words


I also thought about just how much sewing the arrow would involve and decided to use felt for this instead and glue this on - then I sewed around the edges to make sure it was attached and hope the felt will be strong enough to stay on


Next came the lettering - I did each in double thread to make them thicker


Looks pretty good!

Then the flags - not very even but the best that I could do (I drew rectangles on first and then tried to sew inside these, I wasn't entirely successful)

All three of the badges done - working solidly on these took me about three and a half hours to do, this isn't an easy craft but the results look pretty good


And a quick addition - my badge on my bag.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Camino Primitivo

The Camino Primitivo (or the Original Way) is reportedly the very first Camino Way to Santiago in the 9 th century when most of Spain was under the control of the Moors and it runs from near the city of Ovideo in Asturias as it starts in Villavicosa (which also lies on the Camino Norte so many people follow this Way from   Basque city of San Sebastian (Donosti in Basque) or in from the French border at Irun ( this route then hugs the Bay of Biscay passing through Guernica, Bilbao, Santander, Llanes before going under the Picos de Europa and then heads along the coast to Ovideo) before branching off onto the Primitivo which goes across the mountains and through the city of Lugo before joining the Frances at Melide. The route is 320km long. Image taken from https://viaalpina2013.wordpress.com/2013/04/14/camino-del-norte-camino-primitivo/

Symbols of the three main Christian Pilgrimages

The symbol of the Pilgrim to Santiago is the Scallop shell  of which many can be found on the coast of Galicia and it is actually a symbol of the Pilgrimage (and has become a symbol of other Christian Pilgrimages too) partly because you could find the shell easily there and so could go back home and show it off as proof that you had done the Pilgrimage. It has also been included in carvings in some Churches.

Camino Mascot

Those who have walked the Camino will probably have seen one or more of the Camino mascots along the Way but do you know their names? http://m.elcorreogallego.es/xacobeo/ecg/xubi-jubila-pelegrin-mascota-xacobea/idEdicion-2010-06-08/idNoticia-555962/